Remember that about 29 percent of incoming sunlight is reflected back to space by bright particles in the atmosphere or bright ground surfaces, which leaves about 71 percent to be absorbed by the atmosphere (23 percent) and the land (48 percent).
How much incoming solar energy is intercepted by Earth every second?
The Earth’s climate is a solar powered system. Globally, over the course of the year, the Earth system—land surfaces, oceans, and atmosphere—absorbs an average of about 240 watts of solar power per square meter (one watt is one joule of energy every second).
What percentage of incoming solar energy is reflected off of Earth and back into space?
Thus, about 71 percent of the total incoming solar energy is absorbed by the Earth system. Of the 340 watts per square meter of solar energy that falls on the Earth, 29% is reflected back into space, primarily by clouds, but also by other bright surfaces and the atmosphere itself.
What percentage of solar energy is incoming?
The incoming solar radiation is known as insolation. The amount of solar energy reaching the Earth is 70 percent. The surface of the Earth absorbs 51 percent of the insolation. Water vapor and dust account for 16 percent of the energy absorbed.
What percentage of solar energy falls on Earth?
The Earth receives 174 petawatts (PW) of incoming solar radiation (insolation) at the upper atmosphere. Approximately 30% is reflected back to space while the rest is absorbed by clouds, oceans and land masses.
Which part of the earth absorbs the most sunlight?
Because Earth is a sphere, not all part of the Earth receives the same amount of solar radiation. More solar radiation is received and absorbed near the equator than at the poles. Near the equator, the Sun’s rays strike the Earth most directly, while at the poles the rays strike at a steep angle.
How much is the incoming solar radiation?
Incoming radiant energy (shortwave)
Of the ~340 W/m2 of solar radiation received by the Earth, an average of ~77 W/m2 is reflected back to space by clouds and the atmosphere and ~23 W/m2 is reflected by the surface albedo, leaving ~240 W/m2 of solar energy input to the Earth’s energy budget.
What percentage of the total incoming radiation to the Earth is lost by reflection?
Earth’s average albedo is about 0.3. In other words, about 30 percent of incoming solar radiation is reflected back into space and 70 percent is absorbed.
What happens to most of the incoming solar energy on Earth?
Most incoming solar energy is absorbed by Earth’s land and water surfaces. … As shown in the diagram, the greenhouse effect is caused by solar radiation and its interaction with Earth’s atmosphere. 3. The greenhouse effect starts with incoming solar radiation, which passes through the atmosphere to Earth’s surface.
In which collector the efficiency is maximum?
Explanation: Evacuated flat plate collectors provide the highest energy conversion efficiency in non-concentrating solar collectors. Parabolic collector is not a non-concentrating collector.
What happens to most of the incoming solar radiation?
The Earth absorbs most of the energy reaching its surface, a small fraction is reflected. In total approximately 70% of incoming radiation is absorbed by the atmosphere and the Earth’s surface while around 30% is reflected back to space and does not heat the surface.